Friday, January 3, 2014

EM #3 Professional Speaker: The Sales Training Speech



Project 3: The Sales Training Speech

How do you feel about car dealerships? Anyone had a bad experience?  Do they make you feel comfortable, happy?  How about motivated, good about yourself? 
Personally, a bubble of anxiety rises in my stomach when I think of poor CRV one day kicking the bucket and having to go to one of those pushy salesman to buy a new car.  I would rather drive in the worst car, or have people give me rides before I do that. 
Once my husband thought it would make a great date to go car
shopping.  Right.  Honestly men, way to think out of the box.  He had received a “Golden ticket” in the mail.  Everyone’s a winner, it said on the letter.  My husband’s so gullible.  Anyway, going to a dealership was not my idea of a picnic basket dinner and romantic candlelight, but, I know there is give and take in all relationships, so the next week I made sure I tortured him with lots of shopping for the date I had prepared.  See give and take. 
Right away, a car salesman walked up to us in a bright purple shirt, barbells coming out of his ears, and rings in all shapes and sizes covering his face.   Great, I thought.  This is going to be good.  We walked in and immediately he started asking about us.  Where did we live?  What did we do for work?  Who are parents are and how he knows them distantly, blah, blah, blah.  The whole time I was thinking, I know what you’re doing.  You are trying to connect with me, to make the sale.  I know this and yet at the end of sitting in the office talking with him, I felt comfortable and flattered.  Completely. 
Then he started asking about what we wanted in a car.  A lot of factors play a role in the average person or family purchasing a new car. Credit and affordability is the main concern for many people with buying a new car. Some people wait until their old car is on its last leg before buying a replacement due to the financial burden it can cause.   He was very agreeable, and I thought for sure after riding in three different cars with him, my husband was going to buy one, which was not the point of our date.  We wanted to be the Golden Ticket winners, remember.  Well, story short, we did not buy a car, and we did win something, a two dollar bill, but the techniques he used were fascinating and if I would have let it, it would have worked on my husband. 
However, the typical consumer often buys a new car every 5 to 10 years depending on the condition of their old car.  Americans purchase around 9 cars in their lifetime.  That’s nine times of going to a dealership…plus all the other times it takes to find the right car at the right dealership. 
There can be alot of negative connotation when it comes to buying and selling, especially when I’m buying a car.  So, what separates the sellers that sell, and the sellers that fail?  Well there are a lot of tricks in the trade by reading books like Selling for Dummies is going to overwhelm us.  And we all have our favorites.  We also know we go through times of dryness where we don’t sell much for periods of time and we’re feeling down about our selling capabilities.  Here are 3 tips to focus on for the next time you hit your dry spell and need a little reminder of what you want to accomplish. 
1.      Believe in the product you’re selling
2.      Don’t let the world of other products overwhelm you
3.      Keep with the times
1.   First of all salesmen, the most important part of selling to your customers is to believe in the product you are selling. 
When I got home from my mission in Las Vegas, I took a job selling bras at Victoria Secret.  I went from helping to save souls, to helping people’s cleavage and love life take a leap.  Literally.  I stunk at it.  I hid in the backroom organizing anything I could so I did not have to be on the sales floor.  I hated selling credit to people, knowing that their whole purpose in giving these out to others was to make their lives miserable with all of the interest they would rack up by not paying their bill on time. 
I eventually started to enjoy working with the girls, but at first their worldliness, low cut blouses and short skirts, snappy personalities whose motto was sell, sell, sell made it hard for me to like them. 
But liking the girls I worked with didn’t like my measuring chest sizes, going into dressing rooms and being flashed with, “Does this make me look fat?”  So I was a processor instead.  I put censors on all of the clothing, stocked shelves, and pretty much was the honcho of the backroom. 
It made a world of difference to go from a mission to a job.  I dreaded going to work, I hated that they worked me on Sundays, and I felt uninspired about what I was actually doing.  I was pushing others’ business along. 
One of my favorite short clips movies is called The Greatest Salesman in the World.  It’s a boy who goes out to see his product, and he fails multiple times throughout the clip, but I love one quote that he says.  “Wealth should never be your goal in life. True wealth is of the heart, not of the purse.” ― Og MandinoThe Greatest Salesman In The World
You might have heard the expression: teachers do not go into teaching for the money.  And it’s so true.  The career I have now is exactly what I want to do, and even though I have my days, I have ultimate goals, days that inspire me, and progress to be seen.  No amount of wealth can make up for those factors. 
If you are in this selling business just for the money, you might as well pack it up, because your buyers will see and feel that.  Just like my students don’t want to feel like a dollar sign, I must show my students I care, and teach them, and inspire them with learning.  You need your buyers to feel like you are concerned with their well-being and that you honestly think the product you are selling them will help their life.
If you have negative feelings towards your product and hate what you are selling for obvious reasons, maybe it is time to evaluate what you are doing, and switch products.    
2.   Don’t let the world of other products overwhelm you.
I want to be an author one day, and as I sit in my room and write, I struggle with the thought that there are about 129 million books in the world published, and many more million forming, in the writing process, and are in publishers and editors fingertips. 
Most writers will not make it because admiration of an author is not enough, and that is how most writers start.  If we cannot produce the same product, we are not writers.  But let’s say a writer does make it to the publishing process.  Major publishers get about 5,000 manuscripts a year and choose typically five.    That’s a one in a thousand chance of being accepted for publication. 
Publishers who accept unsolicited submissions will reject 90% of them before finishing the first page. 99% are rejected by the end of the first chapter.
You may be an author yourself, and when you look at these daunting statistics, it seems scary, and not worth the risk.  But those that really love what they do, and believe in what they do, many succeed, in some shape or form. 
Another quote from deathman of a salesman that I love is-  “I will become a firefly and even in the day my glow will be seen in spite of the sun. Let others be as butterflies who preen their wings yet depend on the charity of a flower for life.” 
Most will not succeed in what they are trying to sell. Either their product will be made cheaper, their item will become obsolete with the changing times, or the seller will not be motivated enough to get their product out there.  I think this wuote is saying that those that will succeed are the ones that will still shine through no matter the glare of problems and obstacles in front of them.  Luckily, I love the art of writing, and so, watch out for my books in store. 
3.  Keep with the times.   
I loved this movie quote from He’s not that into You, where Drew Barrymore is lamenting the frustration of competing with the many modes of technology just to get in contact with a boy she likes on MySpace.  She said to her girlfriend at work-
"I had this guy leave me a voice mail at work, and so I called him at home, and he emailed me to my BlackBerry, and so I texted to his cell, and now you just have to go around checking all these different portals just to get rejected by seven different technologies. It's exhausting."
What happened to good olf fashioned letters in the mail, call on the phone, or hey, what do you know, a personal visit face to face.  And that movie was made in 2009, which only makes it five years old.  Since then Myspace is obsolete, who knows what a blackberry is anymore with all of the Apple products bouncing around, and Facebook is the new portal into someone’s bedroom.  This is just an example of how technology had drastically changed the way we do business. 
In an ever changing world, the seller has had to adjust to the many different ways of communication.  No longer does an entire city or town go to one store to buy their groceries.  Likewise, a consumer does not go to one avenue to find what they want and need.   Sellers need to be open to the many changing technological advances that are being changed even today.  People have ambitions, and they want their products seen by the masses.  From door to door selling, ads in the newspaper, ads on the radio, and posters claiming to have the best product, sellers are now competing with companies offering the same product in far across countries that are sold cheaper and sometimes, in the same quality.
Well, that’s depressing isn’t it?  Why don’t we just give up now, and let those big and mighty businesses take us down.
Because, we have something to say.  We have something to give, and falling down and rising up is a natural body movement.   We must adjust to the ever changing ways of society and become a part of the next wave of action.  But we can only do that if we stick our head in the water, and see what’s really going on.  We have to advance our computer skills, keep up to date with the newest phones, ways of promoting, and heaven forbid, create a new and advancing way of promoting a product that cause tsunamis in business everywhere. 
Closing
Sellers of America, there is a fear associated with buying from sellers.  As a fellow seller, we have to remember we are consumers also.  As a consumer, we don’t want to be just another number, or check in their pocket.  Let’s not let the world of buying and selling scare us away from becoming great. 
Remember these three tips to focus on for the next time you hit your dry spell and need a little reminder of what you want to accomplish. 
1.      Believe in the product you’re selling
2.      Don’t let the world of other products overwhelm you
3.      Keep with the times
To make an impact in this new selling world, you have to have more heart and soul into what you want to communicate, more training, and more education. 



No comments:

Post a Comment