Monday, November 12, 2012

Signing up for Toastmasters

Today I signed up for Toastmasters.  I heard about it from Christina and decided to see if it would benefit me with my goal as a public speaker.  I was excited to go.  I love giving talks and speeches so I though this would be ideal.

Everyone in the Twilight Toastmasters club was super friendly.  The meeting was a little formal, but organized with clear objectives and purpose.  Two speakers spoke, someone evaluated them, and then my favorite part of the night was the Table Topic.  Jodi, the first lady I met, came up with the Hobbit as a topic.    Then she read quotes from the Hobbit and asked questions about the quote.  Since I was a guest, they usually would not call, but I gave Jodi the thumbs up when she looked at me.  She said the wrote about Pippin asking if there were first lunch, second lunch, noonsies, etc.

My question was at of all the meals, which was my favorite, why, and what would be my favorite food for that meal.  You get a minute to respond and I used 56 seconds.  I explained that breakfast was my favorite meal because it meant good times with my family.  It was one meal we all shared together, and the best foods are cooked at that time.

Bacon is my favorite and I went on to explain that on Christmas morning, my mom would send bacon aromas wafting down the hallway towards us,  We would crawl out of bed and fill our tummies with nice, fat pieces of pig.  :)

I was looking for the green sign they would hold up to tell me I had reached a minute, but I barely missed it by a few seconds.  Oh well it was a good first experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment