Monday, March 4, 2013

Reflection of Speech # 4

This was the last speech I had to give to qualify for the International Conference.  So I wrote this...a little too quickly and if I hadn't had 3 stories to tell, I don't know how I could have remembered the whole speech.

I rushed this speech and I am glad that I now qualify for the contest, but I feel the last three speeches I did not give enough life to.

The three stories I told were about my mother and her dislocated shoulder, the story about Mackenzie sneezing in my hand, and the ultrasound story.  One thing I got feedback on is that I shared two serious memories and one un-important memory.  I meant to do that though.  I have been struggling with the people who have evaluated me. They do not know the goals of my speech and they never comment on how effectively I match the goals of the speech to my writing.

I am finding more and more that writing and speaking are VERY different.  I am great at writing my speeches out quickly and smoothly, but  when it gets time to saying out loud  it sounds very scripted and dead.  I wish I could just speak on the fly.  Not quite there.

No comments:

Post a Comment